Sunday, March 23, 2008

Thoughts on Being a Young Librarian Part II: In Action

Another point to add to the post "Thoughts on Being a Young Librarian" is that 'my' generation is unable to disconnect from the technology we're using. We just can't put it down. It's around us and part of who we are, and if we think we need an internet connection to get where we're going and a cell phone to call someone when we get there, we have little patience with the alternatives. In fact we are indignant with how inefficiently things seem to have run before now.

I'm not sure where one generation ended & another began, because I feel I'm on the border somehow -- cell phones were just becoming widespread when I was in high school, and as a college undergraduate I accepted as natural a high speed internet connection and a personal computer in my dorm room. On the other hand I lived through the death of Napster & am on the tail end of the skeptical, slacker nostalgic-for-the-1980s generation that preceded me.

Anyhow, what I wanted to say was this: I'm in Scotland right now. On vacation, visiting my husband's sister. Writing this. So there.

1 comment:

  1. The Chronicle of Higher Education just featured this story about what happened when a class of University of Central Florida students was offered extra credit if they could let go of technology for five days. All but two students in the class caved.

    One student's comment:
    "It'd be stupid and dumb to go back to the old ways...Why should we inconvenience ourselves when it's right there for us?"

    Hear, hear!

    ReplyDelete